The Dead Sea, which washes Israel in the east, and Jordan in the west, attracts tourists from all over the world with its crazy landscapes, the opportunity to improve their health and just spend an unforgettable vacation.
The high salt content means that there is practically no life there, but with a great desire and the presence of special equipment, you can see algae and bacteria.
The water in the Dead Sea is 10 times saltier than in the ocean. For many people, the Dead Sea is associated with Israel, which is why most tourists flock there. This is what makes a holiday in Jordan on the Dead Sea the most attractive, it is not yet so publicized.
Best Time to Visit Dead Sea in Jordan
The amount of precipitation that gives out here during the year is negligible. Therefore, the sky here is almost always clear, and the weather is sunny.
Ideal conditions for sunbathing and swimming in the mineral waters of the Dead Sea. The lake itself (yes, the Dead Sea, actually a lake) is at an altitude of 430 meters below sea level and is the lowest point on Earth.
The best seasons to visit Dead Sea in Jordan to enjoy swimming and relaxing are autumn (October and November) and spring (March – May). In summer it is very hot here, temperature is usually above 40 degrees Celsius, but bearable, especially if you plan to spend time near the pool in the hotel.
Period from December – February is marked as low season if you’re going to visit Jordan Dead Sea. The temparature can be just 4 degrees Celsius, which makes swimming in Dead Sea not so pleasant. In addition, its a period of rains. But on the other hand, it’s a best time to visit Dead Sea for budget-travelers.
The best way to get to the Dead Sea in Jordan is from Amman. The trip will take you about an hour, you can use public transport or use the services of travel companies that offer daily guided tours. As a part of such tours you can visit one of the ancient temples in Jordan.
Discover more things to do in Jordan Dead Sea on Tripadvisor
Where to stay at the Dead Sea in Jordan
It is impossible to call hotel accommodation on the coast of the Dead Sea in Jordan budgetary, since most hotels have 5 stars. There are other, budget options, but they are far from the lake itself.
Jordan Dead Sea Five Star Hotels
As for 5-star hotels on the shores of the Dead Sea in Jordan, the following establishments can be noted among this category. Most of the hotels operate on an all-inclusive basis.
- Hilton Dead Sea Resort & Spa. Known among vacationers who love to return to this luxury hotel, for its vast surrounding area. The entrance to the Dead Sea is gentle and comfortable. The hotel hosts various entertainment programs, animation. There is an Italian restaurant.
- Crowne Plaza Jordan Dead Sea Resort & Spa. This five-star hotel is considered one of the best on the Dead Sea in Jordan. It is notable for its luxurious territory, private beach. Spa services are offered to vacationers. The hotel has its own gym and swimming pools; the institution is equipped in accordance with all international standards of service.
- Dead Sea Marriott Resort & Spa. All rooms here are equipped with air conditioning. Security in the hotel is organized at the highest level: the entrance to the hotel is through a metal detector. The hotel has bars and swimming pools. From the windows of the rooms there is a magnificent view of the sea.
- Mövenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea. In its surroundings, the hotel is somewhat reminiscent of a Mediterranean village. It is located 8 km from the Jordan River. The hotel has earned the location of vacationers thanks to the polite and attentive staff.
Room prices in luxury hotels start from 120 USD per day.
Jordan Dead Sea Beaches
- There are several option to enjoy swimming in Jordan Dead Sea: you can stay in one of the hotels and enjoy your luxury vacation. If Dead Sea is one of many spots you’re going to visit during a day, you can pay for day pass in one of the hotels located on the coast of Dead Sea . The price for day pass may vary from 30JD to 50JD, for this price you can enjoy all the facilites the resort has: pool, showers and etc.
- Another option is to visit public beach – Amman Beach (map link) with some basic infrastructure provided, you have to pay entrance fee 25JD/person. Many travelers consider this price very high, keeping in mind that you can’t swim in salt water for more than 10 minutes. Main advantage of Amman beach is safe entrance into the water, showers and toilets. Please note that this beach is very popular among locals, so it’s better to plan your visit on weekdays. Remember about the rules of conduct for tourists in Jordan to avoid any problems.
- You can also visit Dead Sea for free, but note that its quite difficult to enter the water on the wild beach, there are a lot of hard rock formations there, so make sure to wear appropiate shoes. In addition to that, take enough fresh water with you to take a shower after swimming in Dead Sea salt waters. Quick tip, try to follow the locals, as they know the best and safest spots to swim.
Useful tips for tourists visiting Dead Sea in Jordan
Put additional food and drink costs into your budget . At the entrance to almost every hotel, you will be carefully checked and food and drinks that you try to bring with you may be confiscated.
If you want to enjoy spa treatments , then take care of it in advance. Spa and wellness services are what many go to the Dead Sea in Jordan for, so it’s best to book a package of services in advance.
Be sure to bring a dark-colored swimsuit with you. You will certainly want to smear yourself with the healing mud of the Dead Sea, the stains of mud remaining on a light-colored swimsuit are unlikely to cheer you up.
The water of the Dead Sea is so salty that in no case do not dive, and also do not shave or do depilation a few days before swimming, otherwise you are guaranteed a strong burning sensation.
Be sure to visit this place. Scientists say that in 50 years the Dead Sea will simply disappear. Have time to personally enjoy its beauties and feel the power of the healing properties of water.
Things to do in Dead Sea Region in Jordan
Swim . It sounds trite, but it is not comparable to what we mean by the word “swim”. You seem to be in weightlessness. Don’t forget to grab a book or newspaper and take themed photos.
The water just pushes you to the surface. Although it is impossible to drown in the Dead Sea even for those who cannot swim, every year people drown here who try to overcome the forces that push people like a float to the surface.
Get smeared with healing mud . Dead Sea mud is rich in various minerals and beneficial substances, it is considered the best and most beneficial in the world.
Along the sea coast you can find people selling small containers of mud. Here you will be offered to help spread the mud or get another portion of fresh mud for a moderate surcharge.
Nearby is Mount Nebo, the description of which is found in Bible, it is notable for the fact that the prophet Moses died here. Whether you are religious or not, this place is a must visit.
Visit Wadi Mujib canyon . You can go there on your own, but it is recommended to go on a tour because depending on the season the water can be rough and dangerous.
And if you want to enjoy a classic beach holiday in Jordan and not think about wellness procedures, then go to its Red Sea coast.
Jordan Dead Sea Video
Dead Sea in Jordan FAQ
This lake is one of the main attractions in Jordan. There are plenty of things to do, not only ejnoying the feeling of weightlessness in super salty water.
Yes, but this experience will differ a lot. Actually, you’re not swimming like you get used to, but rather floating.
Dead Sea in Jordan is actually not a sea at all, but super salty lake. Because of the amount of salt contains in the water, there is no life in it, (except of some microorganisms and algae), that’s where this place gets its name – Dead Sea.
Its better to avoid wearing any types of jewelry while swimming in Dead Sea, otherwise they can loose their luster.
As entrance to the water presents sharp and hard salt and rock formations, it can be painful to enter Dead Sea, so yes, its better to have water shoes with you.
Petra is 195 km from Dead Sea (Crowne Plaza Hotel)