Mauritius is a small country that is gaining in popularity among tourists. The sights of Mauritius will impress both experienced travelers and those who are just starting to explore the planet for interesting places. Many go for beach holidays in Mauritius and ocean beauties, and for many active people, the main attractions of Mauritius are extreme entertainment for adrenaline.
On the island you can soak up the unique beaches with white sand and unique island’s underwater world that will surprise experienced divers. You can also enjoy sea fishing in Mauritius in any season. Newlyweds often rest in paradise, for whom ceremonies are held on the ocean coast.
Here is the guide with the full list of best Mauritius tourist attractions: keep reading to get up-to-date information about the must-visit places on this tropical island.
The main attractions of Mauritius on the east coast
Going to the island, you can see the main attractions of Mauritius on the map so as not to miss a single interesting place. On the east coast worth a visit:
- The oldest city and business center of Curepipe Island. Here you can taste national dishes, buy original gizmos in shops, attend football events. On the dormant Trou aux Cerfs volcano, you can take unique photos;
- Maheburg is a city with unique architecture. Photos taken here of the sights of Mauritius will leave positive memories for a long time. In the city, it is worth visiting the Château Robillard castle, the Historical Museum, the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Anges;
- Deer Island is a place with snow-white beaches and clear water, water activities and attractions for adults and children.
In the west, the following attractions of Mauritius are worth visiting:
- The Black River Gorge near the volcano is a protected area with the rarest plants, flora and fauna. Turtle Bay will surprise you with its unique atmosphere;
- Colored sands of Chamarel. Hundreds of tourists come to these excursions to the sights of Mauritius to look at the real miracle of the landscape, where seven varieties of sand are mixed;
- Eureka House Museum, where there used to be a sugar factory, and now there is a garden with a river and a waterfall.
In the north, tourists are invited to visit:
- the church of Notre Dame Oxillatris in the form of a sea shell;
- Hindu temple Maheswarnath-Shivala;
- Pamplemousses is a heavenly place for a good rest, where the cleanest Trou aux Biches beach is located;
- nightlife center of Grand Baie with bars, discos and casinos.
In the south, travelers are advised to visit the La Vanille Zoo, where there are almost all the unique representatives of the animal world. And in the village of Souillac, an authentic atmosphere and pristine nature have been preserved.
Not far from the island there is a unique phenomenon – an underwater waterfall, which was formed due to the junction of currents and many coral reefs.
Before the trip, you should read reviews about the sights of Mauritius in order to choose your preferred entertainment and not get lost in the variety of guides on offer. It mainly offers active entertainment – cycling and horseback riding, surfing, water skiing. But lovers of a relaxing holiday will be able to find activities to their liking.